Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday, April 26th (Day 6)

Well, the bus is quiet as we cross New Jersey on the Interstate. Just a few hours ago, we were enjoying tremendous performances of Memphis or Lion King on Broadway. Earlier in the day, we were at Henry Snyder High School in Jersey City for an exchange concert. Once the two bands performed for each other, they enjoyed lunch together in the auditorium. The fun began once we taught them some of our pre-performance activities including the hokey pokey and koom-chuk (I know I butchered that one) and they shared some of their traditional dances. I have the whole thing on video tape!! The whole auditorium was a celebration. It was sad to leave our new acquaintances and head into the city.

Once we took the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan, we headed to the Empire State Building. After a two-hour wait, we were on the 86th floor looking out over the entire city on a beautiful day. Talk about picture-taking heaven.

Following that, we made it back to Times Square for some last minute purchases and our final group dinner at Hard Rock Cafe.

I cannot over-emphasize how wonderful the students have been throughout the entire trip. Kudos to the chaperones for an outstanding job throughout the tour and to the many tag-alongs who stepped up to help out when needed.

I personally want to thank bus two for being "the best bus ever!" and for breaking the all-time bus loading world record of 28 seconds (not bad for 44 students ). Though I see the kids everyday in class, I always enjoy getting to know them better on these trips. Parents, you truly do have incredible kids and I am honored to be their teacher.

On behalf of Mr. Bell and myself, we hope you enjoyed the tour and that the memories will last many years to come.

Band is Life.

We will see everyone when we roll into the parking lot at GHS tomorrow afternoon.

Mr. Barnes